3 Point Sprayer Buyer’s Guide
A 3 point sprayer is a versatile agricultural equipment that is commonly used for applying liquid pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and other agricultural chemicals to crops. It is called a 3 point sprayer because it is designed to be attached to the three-point hitch of a tractor, allowing for easy maneuverability and precise application in the field.
In this article, we’ll discuss the applications of a 3 point sprayer and points to consider when choosing one for recreational land management.
Small 3 Point Sprayer
FIMCO 40 gal. 3-Point 4-Nozzle Hitch Sprayer
- 2.4 GPM to 60 PSI automatic demand diaphragm pump
- Delivers spray pattern up to 40 ft. horizontal and 25 ft. vertical
- Includes a chemical-resistant hose that provides up to 30 ft. of spraying diameter
- Our premium air inducted spray tips reduce chemical drift
- 4-nozzle spray pattern delivers 120 in. of total coverage
- Use protection on both our 8 ft. lead wire and pump
- Includes high performance 12V hitch sprayer pumps
- Adjustable spray tip for convenient use
- Hose measures 15 ft. of 3/8 in.
- Hose conveniently wraps around the sprayer for easy storage
- Holds up to 40 gal. for heavy-duty use
- Hitch sprayer is made in the U.S.A.
The Fimco 40 gal. 3-Point 4-Nozzle Hitch Sprayer is a top-notch agricultural spraying solution equipped with a chemical-resistant hose and an impressive spraying diameter of up to 30 ft. This innovative sprayer is designed for utmost convenience, as its hose conveniently wraps around the sprayer for effortless storage and easy portability. With its 4-nozzle spray pattern, this hitch sprayer ensures a generous total coverage of 120 inches, making it an efficient and effective choice for your spraying needs.
FIMCO 60 gal. 3-Point Hitch-Mounted Sprayer
- 6 roller pump and coupler included for convenience
- Pistol grip handgun with adjustable pattern spray tip sprays up to 45 ft. horizontal and 30 ft. vertical
- 25 ft. of 3/8 in. EPDM chemical-resistant hitch sprayer hose
- 3-nozzle boomless boom delivers 30 ft. of spray coverage
- Mounts on category 1- to 3-point hitches and is easily adaptable to category 2
- 60 gal. polyethylene tank lets you spray for longer before refilling
- Hitch sprayer is made in the U.S.A.
The Fimco 60 gal. 3-Point Hitch-Mounted Sprayer with a 7-Nozzle Boomless Boom, features a high-capacity 60 gal. polyethylene tank for optimal efficiency in all your spraying endeavors. Experience the power of the 3-nozzle boomless boom on this hitch sprayer, providing an impressive coverage range of up to 30 ft., while the deluxe handgun allows precise application even in hard-to-reach areas. Engineered to seamlessly work with category 1- to 3-point hitches, this sprayer is your ultimate solution for effective and versatile spraying tasks.
Homestead 60 Gallon Prime 3-Point Broadcast Sprayer
- Featuring 2.2GPM Everflo 12V on-demand diaphragm pump
- Boom features 8 quick-attach, no-drip nozzles
- Adjustable deluxe spray gun that goes from steady stream to mist
- Hook & loop hose organizing strap
- Clear bowl inline strainer for easy cleaning and preventing debris to pump
- Adjustable pressure regulating setup to control flow
- Mounts to category 1 tractors
The Homestead 60 Gallon Prime 3-Point Broadcast Sprayer is a high-capacity agricultural sprayer designed for precision and efficiency. With its generous 60-gallon tank, it allows for extensive coverage while utilizing a broadcast spraying method. Ideal for use with 3-point hitch systems, this sprayer ensures even distribution and excellent performance for all your spraying needs.
WorkHorse Sprayers 60 gal. 3-Point Hitch Agriculture Sprayer
- Provides 140 in. of spray coverage
- Backed by a 1-year limited warranty
- Agriculture sprayer is made in the U.S.A.
- Perfect for pastures, row crops and other large areas; effective in covering larger premises in off-road terrains
- Recommended for commercial use
- Durable polyethylene tank reduces the scope of frequent replacements and repairs
- 12V pump; 2.2 GPM or 5.0 GPM pumps
- Equipped with an 18 in. spray wand and adjustable spray nozzle
- Chemical-resistant and RoundUp ready agriculture sprayer for durability
- 3/8 in. PVC reinforced spray hose
- Heavy-duty manifold design and heavy-duty frame construction
- 8 ft. universal wiring harness and pressure gauge
The WorkHorse Sprayers 60 gal. 3-Point Hitch Agriculture Sprayer is the ideal choice for large-scale weed control in pastures and crop rows. It comes with an adjustable spray nozzle on the included handgun, offering precise treatment options. Built with renowned Workhorse quality, this sprayer ensures reliable performance season after season.
NorthStar 3-Pt. Boomless Broadcast and Spot Sprayer
- Diaphragm pump with remote control switch
- 19ft. vertical spray height
- Boomless nozzles deliver a 14ft. spray width
- Boomless design means no boom arms to store or break
- Spray gun nozzle with 15ft. clear PVC hose adjusts from cone to stream
The NorthStar 3-Pt. Boomless Broadcast and Spot Sprayer is a versatile and efficient agricultural sprayer. With its boomless design, it enables broad coverage for large areas and precise spot spraying. This high-performance sprayer is a reliable companion for your spraying needs, whether in the field or for targeted treatments.
CropCare ATX60 3-Point Sprayer
- Attaches to your compact or sub-compact tractor with category 1 three point hitch
- PTO powered roller pump for greater performance
- Choose a boom of your choice to complete your sprayer
The CropCare ATX60 3-Point Sprayer is a top-notch agricultural spraying solution. With its efficient 3-point hitch design, it’s perfect for various crop applications. Offering excellent performance and ease of use, this sprayer is an essential tool for farmers and agricultural professionals.
Mid-sized 3 Point Sprayer
Kings Sprayer 150 Gallon 3-Point Hitch Sprayer
- 12’L spray boom
- Sprays a 14’W pattern
- Features a manual selector valve and breakaway arms if it strikes an obstacle
- A high-output, eight-roller, PTO-driven pump delivers 12 gpm at 300 psi, and the nozzle output is 0.4 gpm at 40 psi
- Comes with 50’L high-pressure spray hose and high-pressure spray gun that sprays up to 30′ to easily reach difficult areas like corners or fence lines
- Lightweight aluminum frame is easy to hook up with just one person, is chemical resistant, and will never rust or need painting
- Mounts easily with the category-1 three-point hitch mount
- 64″L x 48″W x 65″H. 275 lb.
Meet the Kings Heavy-Duty 150-gal., 3-Point Hitch Sprayer with 12′ Spray Boom – your ultimate solution for effortless spraying across golf courses, athletic fields, and pastures. With a high-pressure spray gun, adjustable pressure regulator, and hydraulic jet agitation, it ensures optimal versatility. Choose from standard Cast Iron or Silver Series pump options to suit your needs, and enjoy the convenience of a quick-disconnect 540-rpm PTO quick coupler.
FIMCO 150 Gallon 3 Point Sprayer 17 Nozzle
- Category 1 and 2 hitch compatible
- Durable 150 Gallon roto molded tank features UV stabilizers and sump for increased drainage
- Folding 17 nozzle welded steel boom features Teejet tips and is spring loaded for easy deployment, use and storage
- Made for these types of applications: weed control, pest control, fungus control, fertilizing
- Pump sold separately
- Teejet number 17 selector tee valve delivers a choice of 7 Indexed spray boom settings and side connection for by-pass and pressure relief valves
The FIMCO 150 Gallon 3 Point Sprayer with 17 Nozzle Boom is specifically designed for small to mid-size farm tractors. Its UV resistant, molded polymer tank features an 8-inch lid for easy access and complete drainage. The welded, powder-coated steel frame supports the 17 Nozzle 3 Section Folding Boom, providing 28 feet of total spray coverage. With air induction tips producing a flat spray pattern at a 110-degree angle, this sprayer ensures precise, low-drift liquid application. It offers easy, accurate, and consistent liquid application with the capability to control weeds, insects, and diseases on farms, parks, acreages, food plots, and pastures. Note that the unit includes plumbing to attach to a PTO roller pump, which is sold separately.
Big 3 Point Sprayer
FIMCO 300 Gallon 3-Point Hitch Sprayer
- XL pump provides up to 12 GPM with quick PTO coupler
- Category 1 and 2 hitch compatible
- Durable 300 Gallon roto molded tank features UV stabilizers and sump for increased drainage
- Folding 17 nozzle welded steel boom features Teejet tips and is spring loaded for easy deployment, use and storage.
- Provides 28 feet of total spray coverage featuring air induction tips for less drift and no drip check valves
- Pro Series hand gun is corrosion resistant and allows you to control flow rate by changing tips.
- Features an adjustable trigger for stream, fan or anywhere in between.
- 25 feet of hose gives you the length necessary to reach tight areas, around buildings and other obstacles
Introducing the FIMCO 300 Gallon 3 Point Sprayer, specially designed to complement small to mid-size farm tractors. Its UV resistant, molded polymer tank comes with an 8-inch lid for easy access and complete drainage. This model is equipped with a Hypro XL Silver Series Pump, ideal for handling liquid fertilizers, soil fumigants, and insecticides containing phosphates. The Pro Series Handgun provides exceptional spray distance with up to 45 feet of horizontal spray and 30 feet of vertical spray, supported by a 25-foot 3/8-inch hose. Built on a robust welded, powder-coated steel frame with a folding 17 Nozzle Boom, this sprayer offers 28 feet of total spray coverage, ensuring increased capacity and precise liquid application.
Why Do I Need A 3 Point Sprayer?
Managing a property for whitetail deer and other species involves various tasks aimed at creating and maintaining an optimal habitat. While a 3-point sprayer may not be the primary tool for property management, it can still serve several purposes in this context. Here are some ways people managing a property for deer can use a 3-point sprayer:
Food Plot Establishment: Whitetail deer require a diverse and nutritious diet. Creating food plots is a common practice in deer management. A 3-point sprayer can be used to apply herbicides to control weeds and invasive plant species before establishing food plots. It ensures that the desired food crops have a competitive advantage and can flourish.
Fertilizer Application: Fertilization can help improve the quality and nutritional value of food plots, enhancing deer forage availability. A 3-point sprayer can be used to apply liquid fertilizers or foliar sprays to provide necessary nutrients to the plants. This promotes healthy growth and increases the attractiveness of food plots to deer.
Weed Control: Weeds can compete with desirable plant species in food plots, reducing their overall productivity. A 3-point sprayer equipped with herbicides can selectively target and control weeds in and around food plots. This helps maintain a healthy and productive food source for whitetail deer.
Insect and Disease Management: Certain insects and diseases can impact the health and productivity of food plots. A sprayer can be used to apply insecticides or fungicides to control pests and diseases that may affect the food crops. This protects the vegetation and ensures a consistent food source for deer.
Habitat Enhancement: Besides food plots, managing a property for whitetail deer often involves creating and enhancing the overall habitat. A 3-point sprayer can be used to apply native grass or forb seed mixes to establish or improve the vegetation cover, which provides additional food and cover for deer. The sprayer can ensure even distribution of seeds over large areas, helping establish a diverse habitat.
Water Source Vegetation Control: Whitetail deer often rely on water sources within the property. A 3-point sprayer can be used to control vegetation growth around water holes, ponds, or streams. This ensures clear access for deer and prevents vegetation from overshadowing water sources.
Tick and Parasite Control: Ticks and other parasites can negatively impact deer health. A sprayer can be used to apply tick control treatments or acaricides in areas frequented by deer. This helps reduce tick populations and mitigate the risk of tick-borne diseases among deer.
It’s important to note that while a 3-point sprayer can be a useful tool for certain aspects of deer management, it should be complemented with other management practices such as controlled burning, timber stand improvement, and strategic planting. Overall, the specific applications of a 3-point sprayer in deer management will depend on the unique needs and goals of the property and the deer population being managed.
What To Look For In a 3-Point Sprayer
When choosing a 3-point sprayer, there are several important factors to consider. Here is a list of things to look for:
Tank Capacity: Consider the size of the tank and its capacity. It should be sufficient to cover the area you intend to spray without the need for frequent refills. The tank capacity typically ranges from 50 to 500 gallons or more, depending on the model. It is important that you choose a sprayer with a tank capacity that is adequate for the amount of acreage you have to spray, but not so large as to be beyond the capabilities of your tractor when filled. As a general rule of thumb, plan on spraying around 15 gallons per acre for most applications.
Pump Capacity and Pressure: Check the pump capacity and pressure ratings of the sprayer. The pump should be capable of delivering the desired flow rate and pressure to ensure efficient spraying. Higher pump capacity allows for faster spraying, while higher pressure enables better coverage.
Boom Length and Configuration: Evaluate the boom length and configuration based on the size of your fields and the crops you intend to spray. Longer booms allow for wider coverage, reducing the number of passes required. Additionally, consider if the boom can be adjusted for height and width to accommodate different field conditions.
Nozzle Options and Adjustability: Look for a sprayer that offers a variety of nozzle options and adjustability. Different crops and spraying requirements may necessitate specific nozzle types and spray patterns. The ability to adjust the nozzle angle, flow rate, and spray pattern ensures accurate and uniform coverage.
Material and Durability: Examine the construction material of the sprayer, particularly the tank and frame. They should be made from durable materials such as polyethylene or stainless steel to withstand the rigors of agricultural use and resist corrosion.
Agitation System: Check if the sprayer has an agitation system. An agitation system helps keep the chemicals or fertilizers in suspension, ensuring a consistent mixture throughout the spraying process. This feature is especially important when using liquid fertilizers or products that tend to settle.
Control and Monitoring Features: Consider the control and monitoring features available on the sprayer. Look for features such as pressure gauges, flow rate indicators, and boom section control. These features allow you to monitor and adjust the spraying parameters for precise application.
Compatibility with Tractor: Ensure that the sprayer is compatible with the three-point hitch on your tractor. Check the hitch category and make sure it matches your tractor’s specifications. Additionally, consider the weight and size of the sprayer to ensure it can be safely attached and maneuvered by your tractor.
Ease of Use and Maintenance: Evaluate the ease of use and maintenance requirements of the sprayer. Look for features such as easily accessible filters, quick-fill systems, and convenient clean-out processes. A user-friendly design simplifies operation and maintenance tasks, saving time and effort.
Safety Features: Safety should always be a priority. Check if the sprayer has appropriate safety features, such as pressure relief valves, boom breakaway systems, and chemical-resistant hoses. These features help prevent accidents and ensure safe operation.
Warranty and Customer Support: Consider the warranty provided by the manufacturer and the availability of customer support. A reliable warranty and responsive customer support can provide peace of mind and assistance in case of any issues or concerns.
By considering these factors, you can choose a sprayer that meets your specific spraying needs, enhances efficiency, and offers durability for long-term use.
Choosing A 3-Point Sprayer FAQs
How do I calibrate a 3-point sprayer?
Calibrating a 3-point sprayer is an important process to ensure accurate application rates and optimize the efficiency of spraying operations. Here are the general steps to calibrate a sprayer:
- Determine Calibration Area: Select a calibration area that represents the typical conditions and size of the field you will be spraying. Ensure the area is flat and free from obstacles that could interfere with the spraying process.
- Measure Calibration Area: Measure the length and width of the calibration area in feet or meters. Multiply the length by the width to calculate the total area in square feet or square meters.
- Collect Water and Time: Fill the sprayer tank with clean water and record the starting time. Start spraying the calibration area at your normal operating speed, ensuring consistent speed and pressure. Keep track of the time it takes to completely spray the calibration area.
- Collect Sprayed Water: After spraying the calibration area, collect the remaining water in the sprayer tank. Measure the volume of water collected in ounces, gallons, or liters.
- Calculate Application Rate: Calculate the application rate by dividing the volume of water sprayed (in ounces, gallons, or liters) by the total area sprayed (in square feet or square meters). This will give you the application rate per unit area (e.g., ounces per acre, gallons per hectare).
- Adjust Application Rate: Compare the calculated application rate with the desired application rate for the specific chemical or product you are spraying. If the calculated rate is higher or lower than the desired rate, adjustments will be needed.
- Nozzle Adjustments: If the application rate is too high, you may need to decrease the nozzle flow rate by selecting nozzles with smaller orifices or adjusting the pressure. If the application rate is too low, you may need to increase the nozzle flow rate by selecting nozzles with larger orifices or adjusting the pressure.
- Re-calibration and Validation: Repeat the calibration process and adjust the nozzle settings until the desired application rate is achieved consistently. It’s essential to periodically re-calibrate the sprayer to account for any changes in equipment or spraying conditions.
Remember to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific sprayer model and consider any additional factors that may affect calibration, such as environmental conditions, nozzle type, and spraying technique. Calibration ensures accurate and efficient application, minimizing the risk of under- or over-application of chemicals, and maximizing the effectiveness of the sprayer.
What size 3-point sprayer do I need?
It’s important to choose an appropriately-sized tank when purchasing a 3 point sprayer. Too small and you’ll waste time refilling unnecessarily. Too large and you risk going over your tractor’s capacity. When choosing a sprayer, a common rule-of-thumb is to allow for 15 gallons of tank capacity per acre of land that you need to spray, without going over your tractor’s weight limit. If you are in need of a smaller sprayer option, checkout our roundup of some of the best ATV/UTV sprayers available.
Final Thoughts About 3-Point Sprayers
Overall, a 3 point sprayer offers land managers a versatile and efficient means of applying chemicals and nutrients to their property. It helps them protect their food plots from pests and diseases, control weeds, and optimize fertilization of food plots and native browse. By providing precise application and effective coverage, 3 point sprayers contribute significantly to modern land management practices.
Full Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links. There’s no extra charge to our readers for using these.