How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Deer and Other Game
This is Huntin’ Land, the podcast for landowners and land hunters. If you like to stay up to date on hunting tactics, land management, land values, and land market dynamics, this is the podcast for you. On this episode, Joe and Clint talk with Michael Hunter, the chef/owner of critically acclaimed restaurant Antler in Toronto, Ontario, and author of the all-new cookbook, The Hunter Chef. Michael’s restaurant is devoted to serving wild game and fish in a major metropolitan city and he is here today to answer the question, “what does gamey meat taste like.” Also, he teaches us how to prepare our wild game dishes without that “gamey taste.”
As a landowner, it is important to know what your land is worth. You may find yourself asking the questions like, “how much is my land worth today,” “how much is my land worth per acre,” “how much is timberland worth,” “what is my farmland worth,” “how much is agricultural land worth,” and other such questions. Many factors go in to determining the value of land and seeking out the wisdom of experts is a great place to find the answers to your questions.
Each week, on the Huntin’ Land Podcast, we will bring in various experts to help provide answers to the important questions landowners have. This week we check in with President of National Land Realty, Jason Burbage, for our “How Much Is My Land Worth” segment.
How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Deer and Other Game Topics Discussed
What is gamey taste to you, a negative or a positive?
What does “gamey” taste like?
The two types of “gamey” taste and when you should try to remove them or embrace them.
– the confusion between gamey (mineral-y, herby) and “off” (bacteria tainted, spoiled)
– the third gamey taste – The hormone filled male – wild boar/rut killed bucks.
Before the Hunt Preparedness
– What do you like to bring with you before a hunt ever begins to make sure you have what you need to start processing game?
In the Field Care
– freshly downed game – heat and spoilage – how long before meat is too far gone based on air temperature
– to hang or not to hang
– to age or not to age (aging methods)
– processing tips and tricks – discussion of lymph nodes and fat
How to get the gamey taste from deer?
– how to mask gamey taste for palettes that do not yet appreciate it
– how to compliment gamey flavor in cooking
– how to get the gamey taste out of venison when you believe the meat is “off” / is it possible?
– how to remove gamey taste from duck
– how to remove gamey taste from squirrel
– how to remove gamey taste from wild hog meat
– how to get the gamey taste out of rabbit
This week’s show has been brought to you by Joe Baya and Clint Flowers, members of the top producing team at National Land Realty, the fastest growing and most innovative land brokerage in the nation. With hunting season right around the corner and interest rates at historic lows, now is a great time to be buying or selling land. If you want to learn more, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 855-NLR-LAND.
Tune in each week as we bring in various experts to help provide answers to important land owner questions like, “how much is my land worth today,” “how much is my land worth per acre,” “how much is timberland worth,” “what is my farmland market worth,” “how much is agricultural land worth,” and other such questions. Many factors go in to determining the value of land and seeking out the wisdom of experts is a great place to find the answers to your questions.