How To Identify And Control Cogon Grass
This is Huntin’ Land, the podcast for landowners and land hunters. If you like to stay up to date on hunting tactics, land management, land values, and land market dynamics, this is the podcast for you. In this episode, Joe and Butch talk with Nancy Loewenstein, an Extension Specialist at Auburn University’s College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment for the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, and they discuss the identification, control, and long-term management of the invasive weed cogon grass. She begins by explaining cogon grass, its impact on landowners and the environment, and why it is a problem. She then delves into the physical characteristics of cogon grass, its growth patterns and reproductive methods, and the most common locations and conditions where it is likely to grow.
Nancy then provides an overview of the different control methods available, including mechanical and chemical control methods, and offers advice on the effectiveness and limitations of each. Nancy also delves into how to maintain long-term control of cogon grass, such as developing and implementing a management plan and prevention techniques to reduce weed spread. Finally, she discusses additional resources for further information on cogon grass, including contacts for professional help and advice. With Nancy’s guidance, you can now stay one step ahead, efficiently managing cogon grass infestations so you can enjoy hunting on your land for many years to come.
As a landowner, it is important to know what your land is worth. You may find yourself asking the questions like, “how much is my land worth today,” “how much is my land worth per acre,” “how much is timberland worth,” “what is my farmland worth,” “how much is agricultural land worth,” and other such questions. Many factors go in to determining the value of land and seeking out the wisdom of experts is a great place to find the answers to your questions.
Each week, on the Huntin’ Land Podcast, we will bring in various experts to help provide answers to the important questions landowners have.
How To Identify And Control Cogon Grass
- Explanation of what cogon grass is
- Brief description of the impact of cogon grass on landowners and the environment
- A detailed description of the threats presented to biodiversity
- Explanation of the economic costs associated with an infestations
Cogon Grass Identificatio
- Detailed description of the physical characteristics of cogon grass
- Overview of its growth patterns and reproductive methods
- Tips for distinguishing cogon grass from other common grass species
- Guidance on the most common locations and conditions where cogon grass is likely to grow
- Use of photographs and diagrams for visual identification
How to Get Rid of Cogon Grass
- Overview of the different control methods available
- Detailed guide on mechanical control methods (e.g. mowing, tilling)
- Detailed guide on chemical control methods (best herbicide for cogongrass, application times and methods)
- Discussion of the effectiveness and limitations of each control method
Long-term Cogongrass Control
- Explanation of the importance of regular monitoring and maintenance
- Guide on developing and implementing a cogon grass management plan
- Tips for preventing the spread of cogon grass
- Discussion on the potential role of biological control methods (if any have been proven effective)
- List of resources for further information about identification and control
- Contacts for professional help and advice about management
This week’s show has been brought to you by Joe Baya and Clint Flowers, members of the top producing team at National Land Realty, the fastest growing and most innovative land brokerage in the nation. With hunting season right around the corner and interest rates at historic lows, now is a great time to be buying or selling land. If you want to learn more, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 855-NLR-LAND.
Tune in each week as we bring in various experts to help provide answers to important land owner questions like, “how much is my land worth today,” “how much is my land worth per acre,” “how much is timberland worth,” “what is my farmland market worth,” “how much is agricultural land worth,” and other such questions. Many factors go in to determining the value of land and seeking out the wisdom of experts is a great place to find the answers to your questions.