European Mount Hanger Designs and Considerations
A European hanger mount for a deer is a type of taxidermy mount that is commonly used to display the antlers and skull of a deer or other wild game as a tribute to a successful hunt. The mount is created by removing the skin and flesh from the deer’s head, leaving only the skull and antlers intact.
The European hanger mount gets its name from the way it is displayed – typically on a wall-mounted plaque or hanger. The skull is mounted onto the plaque or hanger by screwing it into place through the back of the skull.
This type of mount is popular among hunters and outdoors enthusiasts who want to display their trophy deer in a visually striking and space-efficient way. It is also a popular option for those who want to preserve the antlers of a deer for use as a decorative element in their home or cabin. It’s also way more classy than a skull cap mount and way less expensive than a full-shoulder/hide mount.
European Mount Hanger Options
- Mountain Mike’s Ultra Positioner Skull Hanging Bracket
- Herron Outdoors – Skull Wall Mount Hanger Hook
- Wicked North Hang Up European Adjustable Mounting Bracket
- Veradura – European Skull Wall Mount Bracket Hanger
- HME Trophy Euro Mountain Kit 2-Pack
- Skull Hooker Little Hooker European Mount Display Steel
- Skull Hooker Big Hooker European Mount Display Steel
Mountain Mike’s Ultra Positioner Skull Hanging Bracket
The Ultra Positioner is one of the most adjustable European skull mount wall hangers on the market. Adjust it to your desired swing, tilt, and pivot angle, and tighten the single-set screws with the included Allen wrench. This mounting system works on real skulls of deer, antelope, bear, boar, and more.
Herron Outdoors – Skull Wall Mount Hanger Hook
Proudly display your trophy game easily with this fully adjustable wall mount. Rotates 90 degrees and tilts 45 degrees – all with no tools required. Skull mounts are made from laser-cut steel. The added deer skull wall plate gives the hanger a nice, aesthetic upgrade. Display whitetail skulls, feral hog skulls, and other similar game with similar skulls weighing 10lbs. or less
Wicked North Hang Up European Adjustable Mounting Bracket
The HANG UP from Wicked North is a versatile, strong mounting bracket that will highlight any trophy in any room. The adjustable thumb screws provide a customizable display in a convenient DIY fashion. This mount is one of the more sturdy, able to hold over 200 lbs.
Veradura – European Skull Wall Mount Bracket Hanger
The Veradura metal skull bracket hanger is a great, cheap solution for a European mount. The setup is simple, requiring only your hands and a screwdriver. Just bend the center portion of the skull hook, then use the provided screws to attach the hanger to the wall or the plaque where you will be mounting the skull. After your skull hanger is attached, simply insert the hook into the brain cavity of the skull and make any adjustments to the angle for the skull to hang straight. Comfortably holds around a 10lb skull.
HME Trophy Euro Mountain Kit 2-Pack
Another good, inexpensive European hanger mount option is the European Mount Display hooks from HME. With strong heavy gauge steel construction, these hooks will safely hold up to 20 lbs! Fasteners for wall or post mounting are included.
Skull Hooker Little Hooker European Mount Display Steel
Skull Hooker is a fully adjustable European skull mounting bracket. These stylish brackets are powder coated and are fully adjustable (up and down) to accommodate different species’ horns or antlers. They also provide a natural upright look. The arm can swing both right and left taking advantage of all areas of a room.
This product does not require you to drill holes in your trophy because it works with the natural holes and crevices inherent in the back of all skulls. The mount stands out from the wall 5″ and comes complete with all necessary hardware to securely display your trophy. The Little Hooker is a smaller game bracket designed for all deer species, black bears, large cats, antelope, and exotic smaller game (skull weight under 10lbs) such as gazelle, impala, etc.
Skull Hooker Big Hooker European Mount Display Steel
If you want to display larger trophies, The Big Hooker is a larger game bracket designed for larger species such as elk, bison, moose, caribou, grizzly/brown bear, domestic steer, and other exotic game such as kudu, stag, cape buffalo, etc. This mounting system is a great way to get a professional and elegant display of your hard-earned trophy.
Points To Consider
Choosing the best European hanger mount for your deer depends on several factors, including your personal preferences and the specific characteristics of the deer’s antlers and skull. Here are some tips to help you choose the best mount:
- Quality of the Skull: Choose a skull that is clean, undamaged, and in good condition. The quality of the skull is important because it will affect the overall appearance of the mount.
- Antler Shape and Size: Choose a mount that complements the shape and size of the antlers. For example, if the antlers are wide and curved, a mount with a wider plaque will help to balance the weight and showcase the antlers better.
- Type of Plaque: The plaque is an important component of the mount, and it’s important to choose one that fits your style and decor. Common materials for plaques include wood, metal, and synthetic materials.
- Mounting Hardware: Choose a mount with sturdy and secure mounting hardware. The hardware should be able to support the weight of the skull and antlers without bending or breaking.
- Adjustability: You may hang your mount in an area where a head-on approach is best, but in more cases than not, you may want some tilt or angle that better displays the animal. Decide on your location for hanging the mount before you buy your European mount hanger and you will be sure that you are getting (and paying for) what you need.
How to Hang A European Mount
Hanging a European mount can be a relatively simple process if you have the right tools and materials. Here are the steps to follow:
- Choose the location: Decide where you want to hang the European mount. It’s important to choose a sturdy and secure location that can support the weight of the mount.
- Install the mounting bracket: If your European mount came with a mounting bracket, attach it to the back of the skull using screws. Make sure the bracket is centered and level.
- Mark the location: Use a pencil or marker to mark the location where you want to hang the mount. Make sure the mark is level and centered.
- Drill the pilot holes: Use a drill bit that’s slightly smaller than the screws you’ll be using to create pilot holes in the wall. This will help prevent the wall from splitting when you insert the screws.
- Insert the screws: Insert the screws into the pilot holes and leave them partially screwed in. Make sure the screws are level and at the same height.
- Hang the mount: Carefully lift the mount and align the mounting bracket with the screws. Slowly lower the mount onto the screws and make sure it’s level. Tighten the screws all the way to secure the mount.
- Adjust the position: If necessary, adjust the position of the mount by loosening the screws and repositioning it.
- Enjoy your mount: Once the mount is securely in place, step back and admire your handiwork. Your European mount is now ready to be enjoyed for years to come.
European skull mounts are a popular and visually striking way to display a game animal’s antlers and skull. They are relatively easy to install and can be a great addition to a hunting lodge, cabin, or any space with a rustic or outdoor theme. With careful selection of the skull, antlers, and mounting hardware, a European skull hanger mount can be a beautiful and long-lasting way to showcase your hunting achievements or love of the outdoors.
Full Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links. There’s no extra charge to our readers for using these.