The Best UTV/ATV Spreaders of 2023
UTV and ATV spreaders are commonly used by land managers of all sizes. Those who use spreaders deploy these for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is spreading seed for food plots. Of course, this also might require spreading fertilizer, and other things. Some hunters even use spreaders to disperse bait, such as corn, over larger areas. This helps to make the bait last longer than in a pile. Plus, it’s healthier for the herd when scavenging for it over a larger acreage.
Some land managers don’t want tractor-centric implements, though. Instead, they want ATV- or UTV-based products, which are smaller, more compact, and more affordable. These have a place, especially for those who don’t have tractors, somewhere to store large equipment, or have a need to get into tight places where tractors can’t go. Purchasing the correct ATV or UTV spreader is a serious decision to make. It’s important to have a spreader that distributes seed evenly and provides correct coverage. Good spreaders accomplish this without getting clogged or needing regular maintenance fixes.
- Guide Gear 80-lb 12 Volt ATV/UTV Spreader
- Guide Gear 80-lb UTV/ATV Receiver Mount Spreader Seeder
- Guide Guide Pro 125-lb. Spreader/Seeder
- SpinTech Hitch-Mount Multi-Spreader
- Boss Buck 80-lb. ATV Spreader/Seeder
- Moultrie ATV Seed Spreader With Electric Feed Gate
- Agri-Fab 185-lbs. Capacity Tow Broadcast Spreader
- Taylor Pittsburgh Field General Pull Type ATV Spreader
Guide Gear 80-lb 12 Volt ATV/UTV Spreader
- Simple quick-connect mount system fits most ATV front or rear racks with lever gauge mounting to either side
- Easy-install wiring harness with on / off switch
- Sealed 12V motor mounted in the hopper for long life
- Rust-proof polyethylene hopper
- Comes with heavy-duty rain cover
- Broadcast width approximately 12′
- 22.5″ x 16.5″ x 14″. 14 lbs.
The Guide Gear 12 Volt ATV/UTV spreader is an ideal tool for hunters who want to establish and maintain a food plot for wildlife. With a maximum capacity of 80 pounds, this durable and versatile spreader can be used to distribute seed, fertilizer, or lime evenly over a large area, ensuring that the food plot receives the necessary nutrients for optimal growth. The powerful 12-volt motor enables easy operation from the driver’s seat, allowing for precise and efficient application even in challenging terrain. Overall, the Guide Gear 12 Volt ATV/UTV Spreader is an essential tool for anyone looking to attract and maintain wildlife on their property.
Guide Gear 80-lb UTV/ATV Receiver Mount Spreader Seeder
- Large 1,900 cubic inch (80-lb.) capacity
- Up to 12′ broadcast width
- Controls are within reach of the driver’s seat
- Easy-to-install wiring harness with on / off switch
- Sealed 12V motor and rustproof polyethylene hopper for long life
- Rain cover for protection against the elements
- Fits 2″ receiver hitches
- Will also spread ice melt and sand (not recommended for rock salt)
The Guide Gear UTV/ATV receiver mount spreader works well for establishing and maintaining a food plot for wildlife. Designed to mount onto the receiver hitch of most UTVs or ATVs, this durable spreader can hold up to 80 pounds of seed, fertilizer, or lime, making it perfect for large food plots. The spreader is powered by a 12-volt motor, allowing for easy operation from the driver’s seat and precise application, even in challenging terrain. The spreader’s adjustable feed gate enables the user to control the flow of material, ensuring even distribution and optimal growth for the food plot.
Guide Guide Pro 125-lb. Spreader/Seeder
- Heavy-duty 125-lb. (16 gallon) capacity poly hopper means less refilling
- Super-efficient broadcast spreader with 12′ broadcast width
- Variable speed control spinner plate allows you to set the coverage area and seed density
- Sealed 12V motor rated to 570 rpm is reliable and powerful
- Operate the controls right from the driver seat for added convenience
The Guide Gear Pro 125-lb. spreader has a maximum capacity of 125 pounds and can distribute seed, fertilizer, or lime evenly over a large area, making it perfect for larger food plots. The spreader is powered by a 12-volt motor, allowing for easy operation from the driver’s seat and precise application, even in challenging terrain. The spreader’s adjustable feed gate enables the user to control the flow of material, ensuring even distribution and optimal growth for the food plot. The spreader’s sturdy construction and large pneumatic tires make it suitable for use in all types of terrain.
SpinTech Hitch-Mount Seed, Salt, and Fertilizer Multi-Spreader
- Holds approximately 100 LB of feed or seed (weight measured in yellow corn)
- SpinTech patented on demand open/close shut off prevents leakage when motor is off
- Mounts to 2 inch receiver hitch on ATVs, UTVs, and Trucks
- Polypropylene hopper – great for fertilizer spreading
- One directional spray pattern
- Adjustable feed or seed flow system to spread small and large seed or granules
- Includes agitator attachment
- 25 foot cord equipped with an on/off toggle switch
- Extremely detailed and easy-to-follow owners manual
- Stainless steel spinner plate shaft and coupling
- Utilizes a heavy duty 12 volt motor
The SpinTech hitch-mount multi-spreader is an excellent tool for establishing and maintaining a food plot for wildlife. This versatile spreader can hold up to 100 pounds of seed, salt, fertilizer, or lime, and is designed to attach to the hitch of most ATVs or UTVs. The spreader’s innovative design features two separate compartments, allowing for the distribution of different types of material simultaneously. The spreader’s adjustable feed gate enables the user to control the flow of material, ensuring even distribution and optimal growth for the food plot. The spreader is powered by a 12-volt motor, allowing for easy operation from the driver’s seat and precise application, even in challenging terrain.
Boss Buck 80-lb. ATV Spreader/Seeder
- Wireless receiver
- 2-pc. receiver hitch
- UV stabilized rubber latch
- Adjustable nozzle
- Operates off ATV/UTV battery
- Hinged top with rubber latch
The Boss Buck ATV seeder is equipped with a wireless push button activation system, an adjustable material flow rate, and a 2″ receiver hitch mounting system. The newly added adjustable nozzles can be easily adjusted with a thumb screw to control the flow rate to the slinger plate, allowing for precise adjustments when dealing with large materials like corn or fertilizer, as well as small materials like seeds. Additionally, the slide valve located on the front of the hopper can be used to further control the opening or restriction at the hopper opening to the spout. These two adjustments combined make it possible to fine-tune the spreader for precise applications. The package also includes a 2-piece receiver hitch and heavy-duty bolts, washers, and nylock nuts for easy assembly.
Moultrie ATV Seed Spreader With Electric Feed Gate
- Durable plastic hopper with 100-lb. feed capacity
- Handheld controller with 6 settings regulates seed/fertilizer dispense rate
- Adjustable feed gate opening for different feed types
- Heavy-duty, abrasion-resistant deflector shield is easy to remove
- Universal mounting bracket fits most ATVs
- Quick-release system for fast and easy detaching of spreader bucket
- Includes ratchet strap for mounting
Achieving greater efficiency without sacrificing hard work is the objective of the Moultrie ATV Seed Spreader with Electric Feed Gate. This spreader can hold up to 100 pounds of feed, saving valuable time by reducing the need for frequent refills. Equipped with an adjustable feed gate and handheld controller with 6 settings for regulating the rate of dispersion, this spreader enables precise and consistent distribution of materials. Furthermore, the spreader includes a universal mounting bracket with a quick-release system, making it easy to detach the spreader bucket for fast and easy maintenance.
Agri-Fab 185-lbs. Capacity Tow Broadcast Spreader
- Tow behind fertilizer spreader is ideal for lawn and garden applications
- Welded frame for greater strength and easy assembly
- Rustproof poly-hopper and tow spreader plate increases product life
- Covers 40,000 sq. ft. roughly 1 acre
- Up to 12 ft. spread width for reliable coverage
- Direct rod control securely opens and closes the material gate
- 13 in. x 5 in. Turf tread tires allow for smooth transport
- Durable vinyl cover included
- Wider-framed heavy-duty tow behind fertilizer spreader is sturdy when towing and on uneven ground
- Heat-treated steel gear for increased strength and durability
- 3-Year limited warranty
Maximize your food plot preparation with the Agri-Fab 45-0547 lawn garden tow behind spreader. This spreader has a large capacity of 185 pounds, making it an efficient tool for covering extensive areas with seed or fertilizer. Its wide distribution pattern can reach up to 12 feet, which means that you can cover a considerable area in less time. The tow spreader’s random distribution pattern reduces over-seeding and under-seeding. The spreader’s large poly hopper and spreader plate are resistant to corrosion, ensuring durability and reliability for your food plot needs. With a coverage area of up to approximately 40,000 sq. ft. (roughly 1 acre), this heavy-duty tow behind fertilizer spreader is an excellent tool for food plot enthusiasts looking for an efficient and reliable solution.
Taylor Pittsburgh Field General Pull Type ATV Spreader
- Adjustable towbar with a 1-7/8″ ball hitch
- 16″ x 6 1/2″ turf tires
- Up to 400 lb. load capacity
- Windrift Shield
- Gearbox disengages for transport
- Hopper width of 35″
The Field General’s ATV Seeder/Spreader is a versatile tool perfect for those without access to a PTO. Equipped with a ground-driven, grease-filled gearbox, the unit can be easily disengaged for transport. It’s capable of spreading seed, fertilizer, sand, and salt, making it an excellent addition for landscapers, contractors, hunters, and small farmers. The 16″ diameter tires, 6 ½” wide, make it “Turf Friendly,” ensuring minimal impact on your lawn or field. Whether you’re preparing food plots or tending to your garden, this ATV Seeder/Spreader is a must-have for efficient and effective distribution.
UTV / ATV Spreader Points to Consider
There are numerous things to consider when purchasing a spreader. Here is a summary of consideration points one should factor in when picking the best one for their needs.
- Style: There are numerous types of ATV spreaders, including pull-behind, bracket-mounted, or receiver-mounted. Some spreaders are either horizontal- or vertical-mounted.
- Power: Power is another important consideration. Typically, consumers choose between a gear-driven model or an electric 12V motor. More times than not, ATV- or UTV-mounted spreaders are corded and plug into the auxiliary power outlet.
- Broadcasting: Another selection is the hopper material and size. These are linked with load capacity. Generally, the larger and heavier the hopper, the more ground it can cover before being re-filled. Plus, some spreaders are compatible with various seed sizes, too. Each spreader offers a variety of broadcast widths, too. Some spreaders throw seed shorter distances, and others cast over a greater area. Generally, if you need to hold more than 200 pounds of seed at a time, it’s better to use larger equipment.
- Compatibility: The buyer must also consider what they are purchasing this spreader for. Will it be used for bait, lime, seed, salt, and/or fertilizer? Some spreaders might not be crafted with material that can hold up with consistent contact to certain things, especially salt or fertilizer. Ensure that the material is compatible with primary objectives. Furthermore, make sure the size, shape, volume, and other aspects of the spreader are compatible with goals, too.
- Cost: Price almost always reflects quality, especially in implements, such as seed spreaders. More expensive spreaders tend to be built with better materials, increasing durability. More expensive options also tend to be more consistent and reliable.
Choosing a UTV/ATV Spreader
As with many industries, the supply chain has disrupted the state of the market for the past several years. Fortunately, that is beginning to subside. Most products have been affected by this in one way or another. For example, some products began using different materials, which can result in a stronger or weaker product. Others were limited in total production output, meaning fewer products for consumers to purchase.
Choosing the right UTV or ATV seed spreader requires considering a few key factors:
- Capacity: The capacity of the spreader will determine how much seed you can carry at one time. Consider the size of the area you need to cover and the amount of seed you need to spread to choose the appropriate capacity.
- Type of seed: Some seed spreaders are better suited for certain types of seeds, such as fine grasses or heavier seeds like clover. Make sure to choose a spreader that is compatible with the type of seed you need to spread.
- Spreading width: The spreading width of the seeder determines how wide the seed is spread. Consider the size of your plot and the amount of time you have to spread the seed when choosing a spreading width.
- Mounting type: Seed spreaders can be mounted in different ways, such as behind the UTV or ATV or on the front of the vehicle. Consider the type of terrain you will be covering and how maneuverable you need the vehicle to be when choosing a mounting type.
- Build quality: Look for a spreader that is made with durable materials and is built to withstand heavy use. This will ensure that your spreader lasts for years and can handle rough terrain.
- Amp draw: Consider the amount of current the spreader motor will draw, as this will impact the vehicle’s electrical system. Make sure the spreader you choose is compatible with your vehicle’s electrical system.
Careful consideration of these factors will help you select the right spreader for your needs, allowing you to efficiently spread seed on your land.
There are many different questions surrounding the purchasing and use of an ATV or UTV spreaders. Three of the most common FAQs include:
What is the best ATV spreader for clover seed, and other small seeds?
Clover seed is very small. A seeder with a lower setting is necessary for spreading small seeds. When it comes to choosing the best ATV spreader for clover seed and other small seeds, you should consideration the size of the seeds, the required spread width and the capacity of the spreader.
How many amps does an ATV spreader motor pull?
In general, most ATV broadcast spreader motors will draw between 5 and 20 amps, although some models may draw more. It is important to check the specifications of your specific ATV spreader to determine the exact amount of amps the motor will pull. This information can typically be found in the owner’s manual or on the manufacturer’s website. Additionally, it’s important to ensure that your ATV has an electrical system that can handle the current draw of the spreader motor. You may need to install a separate power supply or upgrade your ATV’s electrical system to avoid overloading it.
What is the correct ATV seeder size for me?
The correct ATV seeder size for you will depend on several factors such as the size of the area you need to cover, the type of seeds you are planting, and the frequency of use. For small to medium-sized plots of land, a seeder with a capacity of 50-100 pounds should be sufficient. This size is ideal for covering areas of up to 1-2 acres and can handle most types of seeds, including clover, grass, and other small grains. If you have a larger area to cover, you may want to consider a larger seeder with a capacity of 150-300 pounds or more. These seeders are designed for commercial use and can handle larger plots of land up to 10 acres or more. It’s important to consider the frequency of use when selecting a seeder. If you plan to use the seeder frequently, you may want to choose a higher capacity model to reduce the number of refills needed. If you only plan to use the seeder occasionally, a smaller model may be more appropriate.
Final Thoughts on ATV/UTV Spreaders
Overall, when selecting a seed spreader for ATV or UTV, it’s important to choose one that meets your specific needs and requirements, taking into account the size of the area you need to cover, the type of seeds or materials you need to spread, and the frequency of use. It’s also important to choose a spreader made with durable materials and that is compatible with your vehicle’s electrical system.
Full Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links. There’s no extra charge to our readers for using these.